October 29, 2010

Imperfect Ethics in a World that Is

What is this, this grey world? Is it an illusion; some trick of the eye that makes a simple life hard for the soul? Who's tricking us? Tells us the way things are is the way things have to be? Does unfairness have a place in a perfect world?

How can heads and tails be on both sides at the same time? Are we flipping in the air too fast to tell right from wrong, life from death? Does God use us to fight his war like we use eachother to fight ours? Why'd He throw us in the first place, leaving our fate a certainty but unknowable? What's it matter who's side we fall on?

Spinning on our sides wondering what becomes of us when we land, while the world and time passes by. I take my gaze away from the destination around the bend, and see all that has come to present along the road; marvel at creation, this ocean of eternal being, we always belong to.

1 comment:

  1. I think those are the two sides: those who still have a sense of wonder and concern, and those who are 'dead' to the world and it's meaning.

    Though, I would say, many are of the former, but are confused (Parmenides classification of the masses as following what 'seems to be', a mix of Being and not-Being).

    I think getting to that pure mystery and wonder at the Being of entities though is the right starting place (though I would not call it eternal, I myself prefer Heraclitus "you cannot walk into the same river twice").

    Either way, your post is poetic and poses good questions =)

    ReplyDelete